10 Things about the Ruby Programming Language
--- VIDEO TRANSCRIPT ---
10 things about the Ruby programming language. Pause video at any time.
- Ruby is an interpreted, high level, general purpose language. It supports different paradigms like functional procedural and object-oriented. From the website, it is stated that Ruby is, "a dynamic, open source programming language with a focus on simplicity and productivity. It has an elegant syntax that is natural to read and easy to write."
- Ruby on Rails on the other hand is a full stack web development framework.
- Packages (programs and libraries) are referred to as "gems" in Ruby. RubyGems is a package manager for Ruby.
- Some implementations include GoRuby, Topaz, Opal, mruby and JRuby
- I would like to share this quote from the creator of the language. He built a language to suit his needs and this was part of it.
- Ruby is a pure object oriented language. Everything is an object. Even class is an object.
- Some programming constructs that are supported by Ruby include mixin, open classes, meta programming, duck typing, YAML, automatic returns.
- Features of Ruby lend itself to high quality coding.
- The redo keyword caught my attention as interesting. Redo, next and retry can be used to control loops.
- Finally, I would like to share this useful article I found, dated SEP 2018, Ruby Language Practical Guide. Link in description.